Enter dates to see availability
- All rooms offer 24-hour room service, TVs and coffee/tea makers
- Free WiFi
- Grab something to eat at the restaurant or stop for a drink at the bar/lounge
- Buffet breakfast served daily for a fee
- Self-parking available for a fee
- Take a swim in the indoor pool or soak in the spa tub
- Services include dry cleaning/laundry, concierge services and luggage storage
- On-site recreation includes a health club, a steam room and a sauna
- Guests speak favourably about the area's walkability and the WiFi
- Within a 10-minute walk of York National Railway Museum and York Minster
Principal York ratings based on 12 verified reviews
Guest reviews for Principal York
21 Jan 2019 by TH
Thank you for your review and we hope to welcome you again soon.
11 Sep 2018 by TH
Thank you for your top rating for your Principal experience.
23 May 2018 by TH
I am truly sorry that on this occasion your Sidings room did not meet your expectations. I trust that you spoke with our Front of House team at the time to discuss any issues providing us with the opportunity to resolve them.
Outstanding. I adore this hotel
9 Jan 2018 by TH
Sounds like you had another great stay with us and thank you for your review. Please visit again soon.
Principal Hotel York
13 Nov 2017 by TH
Thank you for your comments which I will share with our team. Please visit us again soon.
About the Principal YorkLocation Station Road, York, England YO24 1AA
Renovations + Closures
The following facilities are closed seasonally every year. They will be closed from 23 December until 26 December:
- Dining venue
As a guest of Principal York, you'll find an indoor pool, a health club, a spa tub, and a sauna. There's a restaurant on site. You can enjoy a drink at the bar/lounge. WiFi is free in public spaces. You'll find a business centre on site. The luxury Principal York also features spa services, a garden, and concierge services. Parking is available for a fee. This 5-star York hotel is smoke free.
- 1 building
- 167 guestrooms or units
- 5 levels
- Built in 1870
- Dining venue
- Bar or lounge
- Business facilities
- Conference space
- Breakfast available (surcharge)
- Dry cleaning
- Self-service laundry
- Front desk (24 hours)
- Express check-out
- Storage area for luggage
- Wedding services available
- No smoking on site
Available in all rooms: Free WiFi
Available in some public areas: Free WiFi
Self parking (surcharge)
- Airport: Leeds (LBA-Leeds Bradford) (48.8 km / 30.3 mi)
- Train station: York Station (0.1 km / 0.1 mi)
- Parking: Self parking available for a surcharge
Principal York offers 167 forms of accommodation with coffee/tea makers and a hairdryer. This York hotel provides complimentary wireless Internet access. Bathrooms include a shower.
- In-room dining (24 hours)
- Coffee maker
- Iron and ironing board
- Ensuite bathroom
- Connecting rooms available
Food & Drink
For a fee, guests can enjoy a buffet breakfast daily from 7 AM to 10 AM.
Refectory – This restaurant serves breakfast, lunch and dinner.
Chapter House – On-site bar.
24-hour room service is available.
An indoor pool and a spa tub are on site. Other recreational amenities include a health club and a sauna.
The recreational activities listed below are available either on-site or nearby; fees may apply.
- Bicycle rentals nearby
- Golfing nearby
- Hiking/biking trails nearby
- Manicures and pedicures
- Body wraps
- Body treatments
If you have requests for specific accessibility needs, please note them at check-out when you book your room.
- Accessible bathroom
- Roll-in shower
- Check-in time starts at 3 PM
- Check-in time ends at 4 AM
Special check-in instructions:
The credit card used to book the reservation must be presented by the cardholder at check-in. For more details, please contact the property using the information on the reservation confirmation received after booking.
- Check-out by noon
Children and extra beds
- Children are welcome.
- Rollaway/extra beds are available for GBP 30.0 per day.
- Cribs (infant beds) are not available.
- No pets allowed
Extra-person charges may apply and vary depending on property policy.
Government-issued photo identification and a credit card, debit card or cash deposit are required at check-in for incidental charges.
Special requests are subject to availability upon check-in and may incur additional charges. Special requests cannot be guaranteed. Please note that cultural norms and guest policies may differ by country and by property. The policies listed are provided by the property.
The name of this property was previously The Royal York.
Charges for extra guests may apply and vary according to property policy.
A cash deposit, credit card or debit card for incidental charges and government-issued photo identification are required upon check-in.
Special requests are subject to availability at the time of check-in. Special requests can't be guaranteed and may incur additional charges.
- No cots (infant beds) available
The fees and deposits listed below will be charged at the time of service, check-in, or check-out.
- Fee for buffet breakfast: GBP 15.95 per person (approximately)
- Self-parking fee: GBP 15.00 per day
- Late check-out fee: GBP 25.00 (subject to availability)
- Rollaway bed fee: GBP 30.0 per day
- On-site credit card charges are subject to a surcharge
This may not be a comprehensive list. Fees and deposits are subject to change and might not include tax.
- Royal York Hotel
- Royal York
- Royal York Hotel Grand Victorian
- Royal York Hotel York
- Principal York Hotel
- Principal Hotel
- Principal York
- The Royal York Hotel
- Royal York Hotel York
- The Principal York
You should know
- Connecting/adjoining rooms are subject to availability and can be requested by contacting the property at the number on your booking confirmation.
- Certain facilities might have restricted access. For details, you can contact the property at the number on the booking confirmation.
Awards & Affiliations
This property participates in Green Tourism Programme, a programme that measures the property's impact on one or more of the following: The Environment, the community, the cultural heritage and the local economy.